Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Miscellaneous Observations Ed.

- Tithing for church is HUGE down here. While the salary range is lower than the national average and cost of living is appropriately less expensive, the weekly collection that churches post on the weekends has got to be at least double than what people give to their church up North. I guess I should have expected this, but last week at a very small Catholic Church in Clinton (with attendance at an average of 40-50 people per Mass with three Mass offerings that weekend), they reported a collection of $9000! Clinton is not the most thriving city in Mississippi, and so I nearly fell out of the pew when I saw this. I wonder what the Baptist churches are pulling in, because this state is only 2% Catholic.

- Politeness - It's unreal, really! Mississippians really want you to love Mississippi, and they'll feed you all their stash of catfish to prove it.


- Muscadines - they're everywhere and delicious in the late summer! There's muscadine jelly, wine, and there's got to be a muscadine face mask or a link to cancer prevention. Also, cheap. They're about $.80/lb, and that's a lot of muscadines.


- Armadillos- I see about 5 armadillos a week, still. I wonder if they're good enough to eat.

speaking of eating dead things...

- It's officially hunting season/ fishing season (my kids are out at hunting camp at intervals, I'm confused as to whether it's an excused absence or not) - Catfish "noodling" is apparently a big thing, mostly in the summer, people who are real "noodlers" call the technique the "hand grab" (obviously). I suggest you YouTube this, it's certifiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment